Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sweet and Sour Sauce

I really like Chinese food.  However, we don't ever go eat at Chinese Restaurants (or most restaurants for that matter) because there is rarely anything on their menu that is natural.  So yesterday I tried my hand at making Chinese food and it was a success!  Mr. Right greatly approved so we'll be having it more often!  Here's the first step: sweet and sour sauce.  What is Chinese food without it?

1/2 cup sucanat
4 teaspoons whole wheat flour
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup red wine vinegar (I forgot I had this ingredient so I used apple cider vinegar...works just as well)
1/4 cup finely chopped sweet pepper
1 tsp salt
2 teaspoons grated ginger root
1 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced

In a small sauce pan combine sucanat and flour.  Stir in water, vinegar, sweet pepper, salt, ginger root and garlic.  Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.  Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.


Serve warm.  See your family be impressed.

Makes about 1 1/4 cups sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment